Take action NOW!
Protect the next generation. Sign the petition in support of BreatheND as we work together to keep our kids tobacco-free.
Tobacco is still a problem in North Dakota. Tobacco companies are after our kids and it’s working.
- 90% of smokers start smoking by their 18th birthday.
- Every year, 300 North Dakota kids become daily, addicted smokers.
Good Parenting is Not Enough.
Smoking kills people. We know this. But since dead people can't smoke, tobacco companies have to find a replacement for every person they kill. Their favorite replacements are kids.
Of all the young people who become new smokers each year, almost a third will die from it:
- Kids now under 18 who will ultimately die prematurely from smoking: 14,000
- Adults who die each year from their own smoking: 1,000
Tobacco costs us all, even if you don’t smoke. We all pay in death, health care costs, taxes, and lost productivity. North Dakota smoking-caused monetary costs include:
- Annual health care costs directly caused by smoking: $326 million
- Medicaid costs caused by smoking: $56.9 million
- Residents' state & federal tax burden from smoking-caused government expenditures: $746 per household
- Smoking-caused productivity losses: $232.6 million
Toll of Tobacco in ND - Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids
Deaths Caused by Smoking - Best Practices
Annual Healthcare Spending Attributable to Smoking - AJPM
Health Consequences of Smoking 50 Years - Diseases - Surgeon General