Break Free Statewide Youth Movement
WHO we are
The Break Free is North Dakota's 100% authentic youth movement. Made up of middle and high school students from across the state working collectively to educate their peers and community members on tobacco prevention issues that affect their school, community, and state.
WHAT we do
Break Free youth work together with like minded peers to raise awareness about tobacco free policy change that directly affects our generation at the local and statewide level and education about the dangers of tobacco. This is done through advocacy and leadership during the annual statewide Youth Action Summits, presentations to peers and community members, and school wide activisms during nationwide " tobacco prevention holidays".
HOW YOUth can get involved
You don't have to be a part of the youth board to be involved in Break Free! If you are a middle or high school student whoes passionnate about protecting your generation from a lifelong addiction to nicotine and from being manipulated by the tobacco and vape industries Break Free is for you!
Steps to starting your own Break Free youth chapter:
Reach out to your local public health unit to find out other ways you can get involved! Click HERE to find the public health unit in your county.
- Gather a group of like minded peers
- Get an adult advisor for your group
- Set up a time to meet
- Contact your local public health unit to attend the annual Break Free Youth Action Summit in either Bismarck OR Fargo. (Check out the summit web page for more information by clicking HERE)
- Stay active after the youth action summit by:
- Hold an activism or event in your school during one of the tobacco prevention and cessation holidays listed below.
- Write a letter to the editor and submit it to your local newspeper
- Contact your state and local policy makers to share your story and tell them what your concerns are for your community.
- Present at a school board, park board, or city commission meeting about a tobacco prevention topic your passionnate about.
- Speak at a press conference
WHEN? Opportunities to get involved
You can hold an event at your school or community anytime, as long as you get permission from your school administration. There are nationally celebrated "holidays" that focus on tobacco prevention and cessation held throughout the school year that are great opportunites for your group to hold their event. These include...
- Bismarck OR Fargo Youth Action Summit - 2020 dates TBD
- Red Ribbon Week - 2020 date TBD
- Great American Smoke Out - 2020 date TBD
- Great American Spit Out - Thursday February 20, 2020
- Take Down Tobacc: National Day of Action (formerly Kick Butts Day) - Wednesday March 18, 2020
- World No Tobacco Day - Sunday May 31, 2020
Resources for groups
Youth Activism Book of Ideas
Check us out on social media!
Meet Your Break Free Youth Board
Pictured from left to right: Madeline, Maddy, Claire, Camille, and Avery